Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Breakfast before morning workout or after?

This was posted to the list on Wednesday Apr 29, 2009 4:48 pm
It's not particularly long, but it reveals my Secret Recipe!


WARNING: This advice is from a newbie!

I worried about having too much sloshing around in my stomach during the two club tri's I've done, yet no way was I going to go without morning nutrition! My solution was to find something that would get out of my stomach quickly, yet provide lasting energy and not leave my stomach growling 20 minutes later. So I devised my own custom smoothie:

1/2 apple (cored, with skin on)
1 banana (ripe to over-ripe)
1/3 cup Costco frozen berry mix (also removes need for ice)
1 500mg vitamin C tablet (keeps fruit from browning)
1/4-1/2 cup plain yoghurt (live culture)
1 scoop whey powder
1/8-1/4 cup water

First blend the vitamin C alone to pulverize it, then add the water and apple, then add the rest, adding extra water as needed to make it pourable.

It travels well and keeps all day in the fridge, so I also make one in the morning, take it to work, then drink it about an hour before my afternoon workout.

The sweetness is just right for my tastes, but you could always change the fruit ratios, or add a packet of Splenda.

I also recommend using a Magic Bullet: No muss, no fuss. The above recipe fills the large Magic Bullet cup, so all I do is remove the blender blade and put on a lid, and I'm good to go.


-BobC


elaine bergeron wrote:
> Hi all, I figured I would put this question out to the TCSD Group as we have
so many coaches, nutritionists, and all around knowledgeable folks in TCSD.
>
> In order to maximize weight control, is it best to exercise in the morning on
an empty stomach (or) is it best to ingest some carbs first for an exercise
session lasting an hour at most?
>
> I have read that you should exercise in the morning on an empty stomach to
take advantage of reduced glycogen and insulin levels to promote fat
burning...then I read you should take something in as you have fasted for 8
hours and fats only burn in the carbohydrate flame.
>
> I have looked this up on Google only to find flip flopping answers.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment